Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fur n' Foliage in Thomaston

On Saturday, I had the distinct pleasure of being able to wander from my humble home and meander up the road to the old Thomaston Academy lawn, where the Humane Society of Knox County had assembled for their annual fundraiser, Fur n' Foliage. HSKC is our local shelter, consisting of a small but very committed force of staff and volunteers who care for the wayward pets who rely on them for their food, shelter, love, health, and future happiness. Over the course of the day, there was an agility demonstration, there were raffles, barbecues, and of course the ever-popular Fur n' Foliage dog walk. Here are a few snaps I caught over the course of this great, community-centric day.


This little guy just killed me - what a cutie! Before long, the sweater had to be scrapped because it was just too warm... But what a photogenic face!



A couple of lucky pups who make their homes with staff from HSKC. Up top, Moses the wonder dog and Theresa in the agility course. And below, Jen's gorgeous little dachsund.


I fell in love with this sweet old Newfy, who cemented my lifelong dream... The only purebred dog I've ever wanted of my very own is a Newfoundland. Of course, Newfy rescue will be the way I go when the time comes, but... Just look at that face. I love these guys!


Marie Finnegan tries to tempt this gorgeous mastiff, Digger, through the sample agility course. The big guy ultimately decided he'd rather go 'round the obstacles, but sat nicely in the hula hoop and was the sweetest gentleman all day long. I'm such a sucker for those big dogs!

If you're interested in learning more about HSKC, mosey on over to their website. This Friday, I'll be spending a good chunk of the day at the shelter as the first segment in my new weekly feature, Rescue ME Monday. Stop by on October 4 to read the post, complete with pics, video, and a firsthand account of what makes this little shelter tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment