Friday, September 10, 2010

Practice Shots: Photographing Dogs


I've been in a very doing mood lately - want to build and cook and climb and jump out of airplanes. This, according to my astrologer aunt, is due to a Uranus transit that makes even introverts like yours truly want to get up in a crowded room and dance the jig. Whatever the cause, I'm feeling the urge to stretch myself in new and creative ways. One manifestation is in my photography. I've always gravitated toward taking photos of landscapes and plant life, primarily because by doing so I wouldn't be rocking anyone else's personal space boat. I know how much I hate having a camera pointed my way, so I tend to avoid doing the same to others. Sadly, I've missed out on many great photo moments because of that philosophy. Now, I'm trying to get past my innate desire to leave folks alone - beginning with dogs. I found this great post the other day at Bad Rap Blog on taking quality shots of pets. Here are a few of the results from my own efforts over the last two mornings. The dogs, of course, are my very own Killian and Adia (Killy's the black-and-white, Adia is the black-and-tan).



The above are based on Lori Fusaro's recommendation to "Zoom in on those things you love." In other words - don't be afraid of the extreme close-up, which is something I invariably fail to do. I love these shots, because they get in nice and tight on the fuzzy faces I love so very much.


My attempt at an action shot - not easy with my digital camera, but I do love the fact that the hounds are caught in mid-flight.


I love taking still lifes, as I mentioned - and particularly those with a natural frame. The white flower framed by the branches above caught my eye, and I love the detail I was able to capture. The beads of water on the leaves below are nice, but I do wish I'd been able to get a crisper image of the berries.


And finally, the obligatory landscape - I love this spot in the woods, as do the hounds. Unfortunately, the light was bad for dog pics; every shot I took of them, they had demon eyes. One of the drawbacks of shady spots and overcast days, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment