Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dogged Challenges: Breaking Up the Co-Dependent Pups


I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want my life to be, versus what it is at the moment. Not that my life is bad, by any means - I get to write about dogs, wander the countryside, hang with my hounds, and generally have a good time. Not bad at all, as a matter of fact. BUT, there were many visions I had of how Life With Dogz (Stressing the Plural) would be, that, as yet, have not come to fruition. I'll start by saying that I recognize this is entirely my fault - I've had the hounds essentially since birth, so any shortcomings in training are resting solidly at my feet.

I've decided that this year, however, I'm going to work hard to get my dogs to the place I've always dreamed they could be. The goal? To have two dogs that I can take with me on cross-country treks, on hikes or neighborhood walks, that I feel comfortable and confident enough in to bring to events, participate in classes, etc. I'd like to have both dogs certified as Canine Good Citizens by the time my birthday rolls around again next August.

In order to get to that place, the first step is to admit you have a problem, right? Of course. So, here we go... The issues I'm facing at the moment, and a game plan for how to address them:

(1) Adia: Adie is a 45-pound, three-and-a-half year old border collie mix. She has high energy, and I have always dreamed of getting her involved with agility - she's super smart, super athletic, and loves having a job to do. When she was a pup, I took her to an obedience class, which means she's better socialized than her brother, and generally very people-friendly.

Adia's biggest challenge is her reactivity to other dogs, which has escalated over the past six months or so. Recently, she's started attacking even dogs she used to be friendly toward, when we go up to say hello while she's on leash - though she does continue to play well with other dogs she knows while off-leash. She also tends to be skittish in crowds, and gets easily freaked out and quite nippy around children.

(2) Killian: Killy is an 85-pound, three-and-a-half year old border collie/Australian shepherd mix. He's a pretty laidback guy, who loves to play with other dogs and would be happy staying outside all day long, as long as he had company. He's not quite as bright as his sister (I say with great love), but he's very eager to please and loves to be by my side at all times. I would love to ultimately get him involved in Rally to boost his confidence and give him a focus apart from his little sister.

Killian, unfortunately, did not attend an obedience class when he was little, and is extremely fearful of strangers (or any humans, really, with the exception of those he knows very well). He's starting to get better about this, but I believe he'll always be timid around loud noises, fast movement, and any unpredictable behavior. Ironically, I believe that Adia is much more likely to nip than Killian, in the face of any perceived danger. Killian just tries to climb inside me when he's freaked out; Adie strikes out.

The problem I have with both dogs is that I have unfortunately raised the two most codependent pups on the planet. Adia isn't as bad as Killian, since she's naturally more independent and has had some experience being on her own with me. Killian, however, has never been alone without at least a few dogs around him, and so being on his own is tantamount to being beaten. In fact, when I try to leave him alone, that's exactly what it sounds like: as though he's being physically beaten. He cries, he screams, he claws at doors and generally makes a big old nuisance of himself.

Before I can address any of the behavioral issues either of them has, I have to be able to work with them separately. Soooooo... This week is devoted to breaking the ties that bind. Teaching Killian that he won't die if his little sister is out of the room for more than two minutes. I have a big crate, I have a couple of marrow bones, and I have lots and lots of resolve. The plan: to gradually increase the time that Killian can stay alone in his crate, (hopefully) happily chewing on a marrow bone while Adia is out of sight.

So, that's this week's mission. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment