Monday, August 9, 2010

EnvironMental Monday: The Case of the Mad Pooper


In Dog Star Daily recently, there was a great article about how to properly dispose of your pooch's hazardous waste. And while EnvironMental Monday is typically about your home and immediate environs, it seems to me that there's nothing more pertinent to the world around us than the waste we put in it.

There is no dog park where I live, however there is a fairly extensive cemetery where many of the neighborhood pups go for their daily constitutional. I've always tried to be a considerate dog owner, cleaning up after my pups whenever we hit the mean streets or the quiet side lanes. After a bit of research, I've learned that such clean-up is about more than simply keeping the sidewalks clean. According to the Dog Star Daily article and some supplemental research I've been doing, canine feces has a wealth of micro-bacteria that are downright dangerous for the environment, and can pose serious health concerns if the poo leaches into groundwater. Check out the aforementioned article for some great tips on how to dispose properly of your dog's waste; I've actually just ordered a Doggie Dooley Pet Waste Digester myself, and I don't think I've been this excited about mail-order since my last Patricia McConnell shopping spree.

Unfortunately, however, not everyone reads Dog Star Daily. Despite having plastic baggies at our disposal, there are a few negligent dog owners sharing cemetery space here in Thomaston. One of my dog-walking neighbors has a ten-year-old daughter who has become slightly obsessed with the subject - she's a little like the Harriet the Spy of junior dog owners. She has nicknamed the worst offender the Mad Pooper, and apparently stalked me for some time before we actually met, convinced that it was I. Once she realized that I was not, in fact, the Mad Pooper, she turned her attention to others who frequent the "park." I have actually seen a few people there who turn a blind eye when their pups are squatting - one who even walked away while his dog defecated ON a gravestone! While I typically have a hard time making waves and don't want to upset anyone, even I feel that something has to be done. A woman whose young son is buried in the cemetery often writes letters to the editor of our local paper, pleading with dog owners to clean up after their pooping pooches.

So, how is it in this day and age that dog owners who otherwise appear very intelligent, can be so ignorant when it comes to a matter affecting not merely aesthetics, but the physical health of others? Are they really that callous, or merely uninformed? Now that I understand more about the potential health consequences of a poo-infested public space, I feel more equipped to talk to others when I see them walking without that all-important plastic baggie. With a little effort and some much-needed education, maybe we can eradicate the Mad Poopers among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment