Monday, August 23, 2010

Socialization and the Anxious Owner


The hounds and I had a great morning today, out in an open field behind the Thomaston cemetery - the place we go almost every morning to get the day started off right, with a little wild, off-leash romping and play. We were just sniffing and minding our own business when I heard galloping paws headed our way, and a moment later Duncan appeared. Duncan is a big, silly, barrel-chested yellow Lab who is absolutely terrified of Killian. A moment later, Duncan's sister Tessa, a submissive, pudgy black Lab, appeared alongside her owners.

It was a moment when it became clear just how far I've fallen from those days of running play groups with ten to fifteen pit bulls: I froze. Fought the urge to panic, remembering that the last time Adia met up with one of her good pals, she went berserk and attacked the unsuspecting pooch. Of course, they were both on-leash at the time. And Rosita, the other dog, is a high-energy hound who was bouncing every which way - something Adia doesn't take kindly to in even the best situations.

But, I resisted the urge to grab my dogs and run, and stood still for a moment, watching their greetings. Adia sniffed and started to get a little bit of an attitude, but when Duncan and Tessa both showed their bellies, she came trotting over to me for a treat, not the least bit interested in the other dogs. Killian was super interested in Tessa, and not at all curious about Duncan, once he realized that poor Dunc was too spooked to play. The owners and I started to talk, and gradually I began to relax. I realize that this is without question my biggest hurdle - this overt panic that strikes the moment we make contact with other dogs, and my conviction that everyone in the immediate area is just a breath away from disaster.

I have always wanted dogs that I can take to outdoor cafes, out on hikes, along populated areas. But, because I personally tend to get a little phobic in social situations, I completely overcompensate with my hounds, sheltering them until they become unsocialized and fearful. I did the same thing with my last dog, Moonshadow, and swore I wouldn't do it again. Well... Clearly, I've gone wrong somewhere. But now, as I mentioned in my previous post, it's time to remedy that situation and get everyone to a place where they feel okay making the rounds and saying hello. That includes not only people, but other dogs. Today was a step in the right direction - now I just need to get my confidence back, and create an environment in which everyone - dogs and people alike - feel as though they can comfortably co-exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment